Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Tutenkhamen's Bris-Khamen

This is the start of the altered book Tutenkhamen's Bris-Khamen. It has been an interesting process working on a slick, shiny, also quite glitzy NEW book. I couldn't bring myself to alter any of the many books in my home library...it seemed too heartless to attack a much loved and saved book in my collection. so I went to the shopping centre, and there was a book sale in the centre of the mall area, and I bought this drastically reduced children's book. Then I got anxious about attacking a NEW book. I hadn't realised this would be so stressful!
It is also a pop up book, which makes the challenge of altering it somewhat more fraught. But having never tried it, it seemed like an interesting challenge. The original book is a history book and talks to children about the exciting discoveries made by Howard Carter in finding Tutenkhamen's tomb. I have kept the history book idea, but altered the place, people and treasures found. This book discusses a recent discovery in Bris-Khamen, where various iconic treasures relevant to their culture, were found buried deep below the city. Bris-Khamen has some resemblance to Brisbane, in that as you glance up the stairs to the outside from the interior of the tomb, you can see a bit of a bridge remarkably like the Story Bridge. This book is being created during a significant world recession, and governments everywhere are looking at finding hidden treasures to assist them. The Bris-Vegas archaelogists deep within the earth show a remarkable likeness to the new Queensland Premier Anna Bligh and her Treasurer Andrew Fraser.
To my fellow book alterers, I found placing interleaving in a book with pop ups didnt work much. I hope we dont have any sticking of pages, as getting interleaving in is well nigh impossible in places. I have used quite a bit of collage, black gesso & acrylic paint. It was good fun, and I hope you enjoy playing with this book when it gets to your place. Helen


2 comments:

  1. Helen - This looks great and sounds like lots of fun!! Looking forward to my turn with it! Cheers
    Tracey.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats Helen! Your book looks and sounds amazing, I personally love the pop up idea...as well as a challenge!
    Peta

    ReplyDelete