Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Cabinets of Curiosity - Peta's book




Great book Peta to participate in altering. My folder had a given page on ballet which was lovely...but I had nothing here to work with on that theme, so I worked more with the idea of my own collection. In this case, my old book collection...of Victoriana books. The book I have used is the Girl's Own Annual. It is a huge weighty book, full of current topics...obviously from England. I cannot find a date anywhere. I did find an article called Training Wilhelmina to be a Queen. Wilhemina became Queen of Holland in 1890... the book must have been written sometime after she has become Queen. There are photos of her, and some of her drawings of horses reproduced. There is a lot of articles in this book with advise for girls...like what they are wearing in Paris now; selecting and adjusting a corset; possible styles in fashionable hats; some handsome designs in cross stitch; the woman who buys furs. Interestingly Nellie Melba (1861 - 1931) has written an article in there titled Why so many students fail in the Musical Profession, some practical advice by Madame Melba. So the article I have featured in your book Peta is Why will Women dress in Public? Apparently adjusting your clothing in public is just not done...and a vast article with many accompanying illustrations was published. Part of the article says that you just wouldn't find a woman in Paris doing that. So it was fun to play with all of this.

3 comments:

  1. It's very interesting to read about the expectations of women in times past! We have certainly 'progressed' a bit since the publication of the book in your collection Helen!Love all the illustrations, especially the hats, they are fantastic! Also love your use of postage stamps of famous women like the Queen, whom I'm guessing would be very much aware of appropriate public behaviour! I really like your use of red on white as well!
    Helen, after your words about my 'cabinets of curiosity' I am beginning to feel very excited at the prospect of receiving it back!
    love, Peta

    ReplyDelete
  2. well just get excited!! I think it is just a fabulous book and I can't wait to see it in its box ready for exhibition. There is something lovely about the fact it is a collaborative project...adds something unique. I wonder if in time public collections will start looking to gather collaborative projects like this.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Helen, fabulous work! I think the time is NOW for collaborative work to be seen as a valid thing! really do! all the best, donna

    ReplyDelete