Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Tutenkhamen's Bris-khamen Tomb

The book I have chosen may be a totally daft selection. I bought a book off the throw out bin at the local shopping centre book shop. It is a children’s pop up book called Discoverology Tutenkhamen’s Tomb. I apologise in advance for the pop ups…. I’d just like the challenge to see if it will actually work if we alter them. I imagine it might work…if we are careful and a bit restrained. If it doesn’t work…then I’m sure we can make it work some other way! After all…it is a creative challenge. Some of the pages do not have pop-ups…they have additional flaps where the page extends out. I am somewhat nervous about my selection….I could have done something safer…..but in the end couldn’t resist finding out if it was a good or not so good idea! Its one thing to be brave for yourself….failure doesn’t worry me too much, as you learn a lot in the process…. It is another to put you all in this too. So fingers crossed!!



I have actually been to Tutenkhamen’s Tomb two years ago…an unforgettably wonderful - brief - experience. I did some drawings there.
BUT I don’t want my Tutenkhamen book to be at all like the book I bought or like a travel journal. In fact…it is just a point of departure.
I am renaming my book Tutenkhamen’s Bris-khamen Tomb.
For those of you who know nothing about Brisbane…don’t worry…Bris-khamen is just a “place” in the 21st Century, far removed from Ancient Egypt. Our contemporary relics bear little resemblance to those of the ancient Egyptians.
I have simply taken the existing text, and slightly reworded it all…giving it a totally new context and hopefully some humour. I don’t consider myself much of a wordsmith….so it really is a leap of faith to think I can do something like this. But…it is all about fun and enjoyment…so I give myself and you as well permission to be frivolous and playful with this book.
I would like each of you to read the story so far…and tell the next chapter with you double page. In this, I am making a request that is different to what Peta has asked. I am particularly wanting there to be a bit of a flow in the storyline. I have therefore, written your names on the title page, with the chapter you will be doing.
Bris-khamen is just a sort of play on words…the kids sometimes refer to Brisbane as Bris-Vegas. Well Bris-Khamen is not quite Bris-Vegas…but if you WANT it to be…then it could be! After all…your double page is for your discoveries, excavations and fun. Don’t fret and don’t agonise over what to do…just get in there and do it~
The text at the beginning of the book explains it is an altered book collaboration, and attempts to rationalise this quite irrational book.
This book allows each person to exactly to have a double page each…with one left over. I think the only solution for that is for me to finish off that last page when the book is returned to me. So, unless Susan is really enthusiastic, and I would imagine after 14 months of this and would like to do two double pages…(and I think this is entirely unrealistic)… I will complete the chapter :Everyday Life when it returns to me. There is an index at the back that I will also have to deal with on its return.
Here is the list of who is doing which chapter, according to our “travel” plan for the book. This is tantalisingly non helpful. It won’t really help you “save” material until you see it I would think…. As the book will have a life of its own as it proceeds monthly to each of you.

4. An Amazing Discovery – Helen Sanderson
6. Kingdom of the Nile – Jenny Conde
8. Valley of the Kings – Peta Lloyd
10. Egyptian Writing – Shelly Neave
12. Treasures for the Afterlife – Kristen Mountjoy
14. Gods and Goddesses – Nanette Balchin
16. The Pharaohs – Donna Malone
18. Burial of a King – Tracey Hewitt
20. Mummification – Tamara Allen
22. Canopic Shrines – Lindesay Dresdon
24. Egyptian Women – JacQ Ware
26. Sailing Across the Heavens – Susan Joyce
28. Everyday Life -


Helen

No comments:

Post a Comment