Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Jen Condes Paint Box

Hi everyone, I'm Jenny Conde and I love a book.
My passions are drawing, painting, printmaking and travel so to be able to combine all of these with making an artist book is the most fun I can have. For twenty years, I was a graphic designer, putting together Corporate Identity programs. Mostly now, I concentrate on my Fine art practice and work from my studio at home. I am a child of the sea and the bush so you will see these themes recurring in my work as well as all kinds of people. I live in the bush by the sea at Lota in Brisbane with my hubby and golden labrador Charlie. (The kids have grown up and just left home).
My idea for this book comes from a poem a friend of mine wrote about a boy named Hugh. While in school, Hugh and his childhood sweetheart Rosie weren't allowed to use the bright colours in their paint box. Despite this, they chose to live their lives boldly and colourfully. It's a simple message and beautifully written and suggests this book needs to be very bright and colourful.
I see this story being a starting point for our collaboration and doesn't need to follow the poem from start to finish... whatever you would like to do for your own interpretation is good.
The title of this book is 'Jen Condes Paint Box'.
An artists drawing block is the support for the book and it will start with blank white pages. The artist's sign in page will be colour swatches named after colours in the poem eg. 'Deep Purple' or 'Vivid Green' and here somewhere, the poem 'Paintbox Colours' by Carmel O'Leary will be written out in full.
I love the idea that we each start a book but cannot know how it's going to end so the book is also it's own story. I am very excited to be a part of this collaboration. Thanks to Donna for helping me become involved and I look forward to working in collaboration with you all. Thanks also Peta for doing such a great job putting this project together and inviting me to participate in my first altered book.
Can't wait to get started, Jen

No comments:

Post a Comment